CES serves one of the most diverse and densely populated neighborhoods of Minneapolis. Over 20,000 people live within its boundaries.
- Minneapolis is home to the largest Somali population in the U.S., most live in the Phillips neighborhood.
- More than 80% of Minesota's large population of East African immigrants and refugees live in this neighborhood.
- Of these East African families and individuals, 200% are at or below the Federal Poverty line.
- 9,000 Hispanics live within a 2 mile radius of the Bloomington/Lake intersection.
- This area is home to the largest population of Native Americans in any urban area in the U.S.
- Considered a "Gateway Community," 31% of the residents are made up of immigrant populations, in addition to Caucasian and African-American.
- 40% of families living in the Phillips neighborhood are poorer than Minneapolis overall.
- 42% of all children in the neighborhood live in poverty.