For Information about Volunteering:
Contact: Melanie LaPointe, CES Volunteer Coordinator
Phone: 612-870-1125, extension 128
If you have questions about specific areas:
For Afternoon Interviewers/Advocates, Food Shelf:
Phone: 612-870-1125, extension 102
For Home Delivery:
Phone: 612-870-1125, extension 115
For Meals on Wheels:
Phone: 612-870-6121 or 612-870-1125, extension 106
For Mail Crew, Office & Clerical help:
Phone: 612-870-1125, extension 101
Fundraising, Marketing or Events (Volunteer or Internship):
Phone: 612-870-1125, extension 105
The accomplishments of CES's small staff are amplified by a strong and enthusiastic corps of more than 2,300 volunteers. Each year, CES hosts many volunteer groups from as far away as Michigan. About half of the volunteers help deliver CES Meals On Wheels; the other half fulfills a variety of functions within CES.
Volunteers are needed each week for these tasks. Contact Melanie LaPointe for details.
- Sort donated groceries: Monday thru Friday 9am-4pm
- Intake desk: Monday – Thursday 12:30-4pm
- Interviewer/Advocate: Monday-Thursday 12:30-4pm and Wednesday 4pm-6pm
- Meals on Wheels driver: Monday – Friday 11am-1pm
- Meals on Wheels kitchen: Monday-Friday 8am-11am
Click on a section below to read more detailed descriptions of these volunteer tasks.
Personal Interaction with Clients
Interviewer/Advocate - Since CES' birth the interviewer has been the main connection between CES and the client. Each interviewer/advocate—mature Christ-following men and women—meet one-on-one with clients to foster friendship and trust. Conversations take place, fears are shared, prayers are given and grace abounds. A listening ear and encouragement are the advocates greatest tools.
Many times we start with food, guiding them through the food shelf. However, that is the tip of the iceberg: referrals, sharing of faith, walking along-side, caring, listening to his or her story and starting a friendship. Be prepared to be challenged and changed by our some amazing people. Come have a conversation at CES to learn more about this.
Front desk - Answer telephone and respond to requests in the appropriate manner. Direct call client requests to proper staff or program. Check-in clients to the food shelf using client database (basic computer skills required). Other duties depending on skills and time.
Summer Camp - Program with games and crafts for the children whose parents are here for Bonus Friday. One to four volunteers needed on Fridays: (summer dates to be decided)
Phone: 612.870.1125, extension 128
Volunteers deliver most of the meals right to clients' doors. The mission of Meals On Wheels is to provide nutritious, low-cost meals and daily personal visits, giving opportunities for relationships to develop.
What we expect of our volunteers
- Show up between 11:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. The meals will be packed and ready to go with a delivery sheet when you arrive.
- Deliver with a smile. Often you are the only face-to-face contact the client has with someone throughout the day.
- Be aware of the client's environment and appearance. At times you may be the first to notice any warning signs of illness or danger.
What you will need to accomplish this job
- Heart to serve
- Volunteer partner in kindness
- Valid driver's license and an insured vehicle (if you are doing the driving)
- You say you don't drive? We accept navigators too! This is a chance to share the work with another volunteer, and maybe make a new friend.
- Standby drivers. If you are willing to answer the call and take a route, we have an opportunity for you. On your assigned day, you can come in to pick up an open route, or we can call you when needed.
- Specialized (strong) volunteers are needed to deliver frozen meals!
- Not the traveling kind? CES MOW is looking for kitchen helpers Monday through Friday from 9 to 11 A.M. You can help make sure meals are properly tagged and sent out to our clients.
- People with special skills are needed to update route maps, take charge of greeting cards or come up with new ways to brighten the days of our clients and improve the volunteer experience.
Let us work together. We will be waiting to hear from you at 612-870-6121.